Monday, July 16, 2007

A weekend of sorts

Saturday was supposed to be busy...appointments were full. But due to unforeseen circumstances, people didn't show up. What these circumstances were, I have no idea, because they were confirmed appointments...they just forgot to tell us that they were confirmed NOT coming. So there I was, sitting in the office, waiting..

By the time 5pm came around, I was so eager to dash right home..my "weekend" all one day and a bit left of it, had come. BH and I had initially planned to cook at home..a very ambitious project, seeing that I can't cook. ( My brother claims I'm the only person in the world who can burn water). But instead, a gym friend had decided to have a barbecue. So off to Sg. Long we went.

I'm no real fan of barbies...the cooking or the doll, and as most barbies go, the food was mostly burnt on the outside, raw on the inside. By the time the fire was good, hot and not just licking the meat, we'd already been filled up by the backup plan...tah pau of ironically pau and dim sum. Heh.

So the food wasn't great, but heck, the company was ok. BH's friends, tend to get real mellow after some drinks, and drinks were aplenty. Especially BH's contribution to the affair...soju. Them Koreans are cheap drunks, I tell you. the stuff is cheap, yet POTENT! With a fair bit of restraint...wasn't easy, I managed to stay away from most of the alcohol that night. As did BH. We had a long day the next day, meeting my relatives. Have to survive without a hangover lar!

Sunday was my mum's auntie's 80-something birthday. A big thing for someone that age, so off we went to Seremban. The house was a huge place( three houses put together), there were lots of rambutans on the tree's and 3 lovely pet dogs which kept BH pretty much occupied. 100 over sons, daughters, nieces, nephews, cousins, second cousins and children were in attendance. It was big, noisy, but the old lady was happy. So too was my Yee Poh..she finally got to meet BH and she approved happily. What was the term she used...erm "ying chun" I think. Heh...BH, just knows how to get into people's good books I guess.

Lunch was a late affair, at a restaurant in Blossom Garden. BH took pics, so he will put up when he has the time la. But the food was very unique, not your typical sit down chinese fair..Good food was one thing, the other was the family.

By meeting people in my mother's family, her past...I got to know more about her past, her history and about her. And in turn, I learnt a few things about me, about why I have certain eccentricities...heh. Family. What a weekend.

2 comments:

fatboybakes said...

whaddaya mean you cant cook? your crab curry at FCI's birthday was very the good wor.

Anonymous said...

Thanks FBB, but the credit for the crab curry should go to this wonderful Chinese lady who cooks damn nice Indian food, aka my mother.
SC