Friday, March 14, 2008

Mistaken ( Stolen?) Identity

The last week, someone from some company has been calling my office to speak to me. When he calls, I'm busy, so I ask the receptionists to take down a message. The guy refuses to do so. Thinking it must be some telesales thing, I've been avoiding his calls, until my girls told me that he would send someone over. Wow, persistent sales guy...so I decided to talk to him the next time he calls.

He called this morning...

What he had to say was shocking and a little unnerving..

He claimed I owed his company money, after transferring balance from a credit card or something like that and he'd had a conversation with me regarding the matter, which was recorded, in October last year..

Thing is, I don't have a credit card with that bank and I really don't know the guy, nor have I spoken to him, but he kept asking me, if he called my first name correctly, and I said yes. But then he asked if my IC number was 75XXXXX..then I knew he had the wrong person. So I kept telling him so..but he insisted he'd recorded that info with Dr. ( my name) see..

Then, I asked him for that person's last name...this is where it gets interesting...why? It wasn't mine.

There's another person in the office with the same first name as me..but she isn't a Dr. And the guy is actually looking for her..so I had to tell the guy, wrong name, wrong person, correct office.

Sounds like a simple misunderstanding, right? But then, why is it in his system that a DR. (my name) owes them money? I'm the only Dr.(my name) here..hmm..

Am now thankful that no one came looking for me in person, seeing as I avoided the calls, they might think that I owe them money..goodness knows who these people are and what the can do.

As for the person they are looking for? Well, All I can do is tell the boss, that this happened..can't do anything else right? BH thinks I should make a police report, in case anything does happen to me. But on hindsight, the guy did realise he'd gotten the wrong person on the phone..and I'm hoping they corrected their "system". Online checks of the company show it to be a credit retrieval company..should I be concerned?

1 comment:

TTB said...

Maybe he's just asking for a "Dr." because the operator suggested so when he called earlier on? You mean he had that in his err... "system"? But do becarefule, now a days there are many "agency" who helps finance company to "follow up" on debts.