Friday, April 27, 2007

Shopping...the skinny of it

Working in a mall has its advantages, I get to shop in my free / lunch time. Well, in terms of my $$ flow, this could count as a disadvantage. Anyway, recently, I have been window shopping a bit, looking for a pair of dress pants or working pants. Which is proving quite challenging.

Obesity and LM body fat machine aside, I'm not exactly fat nor am I thin. I'll admit, I'm stocky...short, a bit stout, muscular. I wasn't called "Thunderthighs" on the account of my slim svelte legs. Rather, I'm very well endowed, muscle wise in my legs. A legacy from a strong granny which worked out very well during my sprinting days. But these days is hell to find pants that these strong legs fit in.

See, it always fits at the waist, too small at the hips or fits at the hips, too big at the waist. For years I've been tortured, wearing pants that don't quite fit, having to alter them and still they don't quite fit. Jeans...OMG! What a torture! For years I was brought up to think that my body shape is "not normal" and that my legs are ugly, I am ugly, and normal is skinny...the type that fit in 501 ( women) jeans...those assless ones. I remember once, when I was 15, a salesgirl chided me on my weight and told me to lose some, just cos I couln't fit into a pair of jeans.

It was only on a trip to the US that I realised that this was wrong...we actually have Levi's specially made for "Asian sizes". To me, this meant...skinny, assless,bosomless ( for tops) and ultimately, shapeless. It was a joy for me in San Francisco, when I walked into Levis and lo and behold, found jeans that fit perfectly..even the length, was right. They have them in Short, Medium and Long! I found that my size is a 4S...pretty small by US standards...hehehehe.

But now, back home, I'm faced with the same problem again...finding pants that fit. I swear, I hate labels like g2000...made in Hong Kong, and doesn't fit. plus, they charge you quite a bit for stuff that the colour runs ( even after a few washes)..or stuff that tear at the seam...I have a few pairs, but I don't like wearing them. They too, don't quite fit. MNG...too long, no Asian lengths, the same with ZARA. Sigh, after spending so much, one has to send for alteration of length...not worth it at all.

Recently, I chanced upon Dorothy Perkins, found a pair, fit well, just right, and the right length. The price? 79 bucks, on discount. However, there is a catch...the material is thin, so my pants probably wont last very long.

I just wonder, when will the day come when fashion retailers that there are so many of us out there, the "in-between's" that are looking for the perfect fit. I could tailor clothes, but I don't know a good tailor and I'm not willing to spend as much. Ms Read and plus sized stuff is was too big and really, just covers up one's body. Where's the style in that? I don't have a problem above the waist...fit into an S or XS most the time. But below the waist? Aiyo...so unproportionate eh? But I will never, ever try to be a G2000 spokesperson, or buy into the whole "I have to fit into 501's to be pretty" thing. Hang them. If they think assless and skinny's beautiful, so be it. I think J.Lo and America Ferrera are beautiful...and I like my ass. Will work on it, so it doesn't slouch too much, but I like it..same goes for my legs. So there!
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have u tried Mark & spencer? i have the same prob. & i found most of my pants at M&S.

Kryptonite said...

Babe,
if you're open to tailoring, give that a shot too! A good tailor really can make the most out of our assets :) If youre planning a trip to Bangkok, buzz me. I'll hook you up with my wonderful tailor there.

Ciao,
F

Anonymous said...

Dear anonymous, M&S can be a tad too pricey, but also is shroud in controversy. The company is said to support zionism...I have only one opinion on this, I don't support companies that may be contributing to conflict/war at all.

Thanks Faz, finding a good tailor is tough. If I go to Bangkok, will definately get the contact from you. I read your blog bout this guy.

On a lighter note, will try shopping tomorrow at KLCC...DP, Topshop on SALE!!!!

SC