Friday, April 27, 2007

Back to the Curve

Finally made it back, after BH's boycott ( gotta pay too much toll and then pay parking) just to get here. Yesterday was a semi-public holiday and so we decided to try an early BC class, the 6.20 one.This is BH's second attempt after the dengue and he actually managed to finish! The previous attempt was in LM on Sunday, where he could only survive to track 3. So I guess he is recovering very well. ( His appetite is back too).

Anyway, since FCI got a few comments from me, the instructor yesterday also will get some lah. I shall nickname him Not so Newbie ( NSN for simplicity). Well, one thing I didn't really like was NSN's lack of confidence. For one, he did not make much eye contact with members. That's probably because he turned off the lights from track 1. I don't get the idea. I mean, it does create focus on you on stage ( so members can see your techniques, provided of course you don't teach them ajaran sesat), but it also means that you can't see the members below, especially those who are new and are making mistakes with technique. I always thought that warm ups are a great start to teaching technique, the slower pace makes it easier...but if you can't see.....how to correct?

The other thing I didn't like was NSN takes on some "homeboy" persona on stage...yeah, maybe that's his style, but to me, it comes off as fake and insincere. Also, I think he's not comfy with this persona either, and it shows. I guess experience counts and helps inprove the instructors confidence and ease on stage. One other thing I noticed was NSN cheated at shuffling...big time. And with push-ups. Hey, male instructors should be a role model, push-ups on toes, please, especially easy tracks! And his body rips look like groin flicks...he aimed too low, and the motion was not straight forward, rather like an quasi upper upwards. It looked weird, and had me in stiches, literally.

Other than that, the rest was ok. BH was looking at me the entire class, realising I was making comments in my head ( especially the groin flicks part..we were both sniggerring). See, instead of going for FCI's class like I normally do, I decided to join him for this one. we still had a good workout nevertheless and we got to see people climbing up a wall. But seriously, bring back the instructors who do SAFETY CUES please....I wonder how many people go home with injuries these days.

4 comments:

YOU! said...

groin flicks? :p I can think of a string of amusing cues to go with that....

Choobacca said...

SC I agree with you:

I have no high regards to new (or not so new) combat instructors who are so full of themselves, emphasizing on showmanship, disregarding safety aspects of the class and above all, continue to make same mistakes in chore.

It shows lack of enthusiaism, lack passion to teach and teach for the sake of getting the money.

Sadly I dont go for these classes, I would rather sit at home and do body fat.

fatboybakes said...

BUWAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!! i am usually too diplomatic to blog about these things... but yar, some instructors are really FOTs. (full of themselves). i mean its okay lah, if you have genuinely reached diva status.... i mean, there's whitney houston diva, and mawi diva... biggggg difference.

like my fellow compadre, i'd rather sit home and do BODYFAT too.

SC said...

Sorry, but I tell it like it is. Unfortunately, this has gotten me on the bad side of some people who read my blog.
Sincerely, I would never comment on members technique specifically in this blog, it's not my place, but being a member, I have a right to mention instructors techniques, no matter how diva-esque or god like they think they are. If you are on stage and teaching the wrong thing, someone has to say something, right? Otherwise, we'd all end up doing Bodyfat..