Tuesday, June 03, 2008

It must be a chinese thing..

Yea, nothing compells the Indian bit of me to grab a mic and wail my lungs out in a darkened room to background music with lyrics projected on a screen to ( occasionally) corny music videos..

Bh's first uncle turned 70 recently, and Bh's cousin's decided to throw him a surprise party.... at a karaoke joint. The whole family is in on the karaoke thing..and some, pretty good at it too, like Uncle Wilson. He crooned out oldies like a pro!

But me? I stayed away..heck, I'm Indian darn it! I only feel compelled to sing in the shower/ in my car when Queen or Aerosmith plays on the radio..not in front of relatives. Unless of course, it's on a big stage, in front of many people and I'm a star, like Jacklyn Victor..but still, I can't imagine her doing karaoke.

Hence, it can't be an Indian thing..especially with Bollywood being mostly lip-synced productions.

More proof was in the language selection of said machine..

1) English
2) Malay
3) Chinese
4) Hindu

Yup, if Indians frequented the joint, someone would surely have pointed out the mistake..it's Tamil/Telegu/Urdu/Malayalee/Gujerati/Punjabi/whatever dialect from India, because EVERYONE knows that Hindu is a religion, not a language, right?

Unless of course, they actually have songs in Sanskrit..the language used in Hinduism..now that, would be amazing!

So yeah, I'm thinking it's a Chinese thing..well, probably not an Indian thing..or maybe..just not a me thing.

4 comments:

Mervin Lee said...

Hi Hi... If it's not an indian thing... or chinese thing... that what thing? I think it's in your heart and soul... Singing... it just is... I love to sing.. so does Jr and ASD... HRH Nut.. hmmm don't go there.. he's just not built to sing.... :D

So see you tomorrow @ mid valley... 2 pm!

SC said...

I sing when Im happy! But that noramlly is not in karaoke joints..hehehehe

Mervin Lee said...

I know... all my indian friends sing when they're happy.. then, they will go around trees and start to do hide and seek.. and some of them will roll on the ground if there's a small hill... broadway bollywood in action! :D hur hur hur... i sometimes roll with them...

Kryptonite said...

I used to join my friends for karaoke, but they sing a lot of songs that I have no idea existed - many hits from Indonesian bands. Lovely tunes, for sure, but unfamiliar to my ears xcept one or two. So, I volunteer my services to book the venue for them and then leave them to sing to their hearts' content!

:-)