Monday, November 19, 2007

And so it begins...

What started out as a simple ceremony, where two people put down signatures on a blue piece of paper and then legally call themselves married, is now..not so simple. Heh.

Yeah, getting married is BIG thing. BH and I wanted it simple, straightforward, but out parents decided otherwise. Well, maybe it just hasn't sunk in yet, that we only get to do this once, so might as well get it done right, right? I appreciate everyone effort, I mean, it is sinking in lar..and so it should be special, so our parents are right.

So, our simple registration is now enhanced with a few ceremonies and at least one reception. There's the actual official marriage..in Putrajaya on Monday,December 10th( gosh..only 3 weeks away)..anyone free to come join us, please feel free, but let us know, cos we're hosting a makan after that. My dress, the one I got from designer Keith Kee is ready, and I have to go for a fitting this Sunday. Crossing my fingers I haven't put on any weight since the measurements a month ago.

After that is the "simple" tea ceremony..for BH's parents and relations. Of course if there is a tea ceremony, there will be the other ones...which I'm not sure of, but apparently I have to make myself scarce one weekend as BH's parents will be coming over for some ceremony or other, and which I'm not supposed to be around. Oh, and the tea ceremony bit? I'm supposed to brew the tea to be served...me, the girl who can literally burn water ( My brother swears he's seen me do it). Gotta buck up on the cooking bit, I know.

And for 3 days after, I can't go home to my folks place...the home I've called home since I was born..yikes! When I do return home, on the 12th, since I'm officially Hindu, and my dad wants things done right, BH and I will be going to the temple, for a simple blessing ceremony, complete with saree and his Indian baju...hehehehe. Oh, did I mention the wedding garlands? Thankfully we've done away with the "thali" bit, otherwise, I'll have a yellow string tied around my neck for the rest of my life.And we decided that if there is a "thali", there will need to be the wedding pyre...and hence, we might as well go for the whole Indian wedding shebang..which I have vetoed against. Why? because I think it's not fair on BH, who actually wanted a church affair, but gave up the idea for practical reasons. Though secretly, I wish someday he'd get his wish of a church wedding...so maybe a reaffirmation ceremony later?..

And speaking of my Indian side. My dad felt it's necessary for us to have a reception for the Indian relations, at least to inform them of my long delayed and anxiously anticipated nuptials. ( It's been long awaited since I turned 21, I think, and thats a looooooong time ago). So, there will be a makan too..Indian style..the cards had to be rushed too and they have to be sent out too..aiyoyo! So, there will be 150 people, by my estimate, trudging into my tiny little house, in about a months time..

Then, there is the chinese side. Grand aunt and grand ma have been waiting a very long time too, to drink tea ( every CNY I get the usual threats of last ang-pows, etc)...so, the dinner thing is a must! The chinese wedding dinner, that is...also BH has many relations that have been waiting for him to belanja minum..so after all the stuff this year, we have to plan for a dinner next year. ..thankfully, everyone's agreed not to rush this, especially BH's parents, who feel, like we do, that we need more time to plan. Phew! Anyone got any ideas on where's a good place to eat? When it boils down to good food versus ambiance, ie restaurant vs hotel, BH and I pick good food...like you didn't see that one coming? So, any suggestions, folks?

Can't wait for tomorrow..we get to try out our custom rings...hehehehe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, congrats to both of you. many blessed and happy returns on your wedding day and the rest of your life together.

karynn said...

congratulations sc & bh!!!! so happy for u guys!! :)

so sorry it came kinda late... been kinda away from d wonderful world of blogs lately. :(

Bernsy said...

hey thanks guys... :D

SC said...

Thanks nina & kt..no worries, we know you've been very busy colour co-ordinating markers...kekeke