Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Meenachi-na

Anneh, i.e favourite wookie, always calls me meenachi...I suppose its because I'm Indian. But BH on the other hand, calls me.....meenachi-NA. Which he thinks is more appropiate as I'm more chin-ak than indi-ah. A fact he keeps reminding me of everytime we venture into an Indian restaurant and I am flabbergasted when he asks me what each food on the menu is. In my defense, my mum is after all CHINESE.... and so I speak my MOTHER tongue, literally, i.e CANTONESE.

Then of course there are those who think of me as plain Minah. My kopi susu skin deluding them into mistaking me for Malay or Indon. I wonder what a Filipino girl is called in Tagalog?

I on the other hand, consider myself this



Masala mix ( what I'm munching on as I type this) ... a little bit of this, a little bit of that and a whole lot of "masalah" too....hehehehe.

Most of the masalah coming from people trying to place me as "Indian" or "Chinese" or "Whatever". You should see the faces of people when they hear me speak Cantonese or when they find out my name and I can't speak any Indian dialect. The confusion can be entertaining. The rest of the masalah comes from me, trying not to be confused myself.

No comments: