Friday, November 10, 2006

Tales of the delusional

Have you ever met people whom you thought are downright delusional? For me, its usually people who are in denial about themselves, i.e they think they are someone whom they are definately not! A great example would be the delusional people I meet in the gym, most often in BC. You know the flers, la, the ones who seriously think they are Jackie Chan/ Bruce Lee? Who think they are major martial artist, who think they can punch and kick you out of the class? Well, I seem to attract these flers, like bees to nectar. Usually skinny, with no sense of timing what so ever and punching and kicking like there's no tomorrow, they always stand next to me. From the corner of my eye I can see arms and legs flailing about aimlessly and dangerously. Strangely its always a guy who is delusional in BC..I wonder why?
Anyway, these delusional flers also come with a side order of ego. Apparently the fact that a girl can outpunch them scares them enough to flail about harder. ( out of timing and sequence sometimes). I observed one fler today, there I was at track 3, happily doing my uppers with more power, when the guy next to me starts upping his intensity too. Not that I'm against that, its just that it was obvious the guy was trying to outdo me, cos he kept glancing over to my side la. If I punched hard, he'd punch harder. If I kicked high, he'd kick higher...and so it went all the way to the end. Unfortunately the fler had poor technique and lets face it, punched like a girl...well, worse than a girl. delusional or what? And being a GUY, I'm pretty sure Mr. Delusional here would never in a million years ask anyone, guy, girl or instructor, if what he was doing was correct. Sad to say, men, will never ask for directions and apparently, will never ask " Am I punching correctly?" Because apparently, if you are a GUY, you should know how to, instinctively....hmmm....
Oh, and of course there's no way in hell a GUY will let a GIRL outpunch him? No, that would be sacriledge! Delusional, no?

5 comments:

Bernsy said...

Not fair, how many guys can outpunch you in the first place ?

YOU! said...

Generally those are the guys who will always try to outdo the instructors as well. Timing is an issue and will be worse if they shout it out loud! :p

Anonymous said...

Some people are handicapped in a way, coz they think they are employing the correct technique when they are not, and are kinda stone deaf to timing; it is quite amusing and fun to see, well,at least they are enjoying themselves...:)

And after class, they can still critique the instructor! whoa!

To me, it is more fun when i have friends around me who punch harder coz it gets me in the mood to work harder...But the competition is not with those around me,...I know if i jab cross harder i will shape my upper body better, or if i force myself to do push up on the toes, i will hv stronger and tighter shoulders. i am my own competition.

SC said...

kekekeke....all I can say is "Hoi! Hoi! Hoi! Hoi!"

YOU! said...

ahahahaha! "Hoi Hoi Hoi Hoi" indeed! :p