Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentines 2007


A single white rose, remnant of a dozen, still sitting in my room, being dried so that I'll remember this day. Valentine's wasn't supposed to be a big deal. It has not been for many years now and this year should have been no different.
In my mind, it's expensive and a great marketing strategy for Hallmark, so when BH asked what we should do, I said "nothing". No dinners, no gifts and NO FLOWERS ( expensive mah). But as usual, BH surprised me with a bouquet...which I received in the midst of taking an x-ray for a root canal patient. A dozen white in a green themed bouquet, because I like the colour green. My heart melted. And it melted even more, because BH braved traffic and bad parking to spend lunch and dinner with me. Though both meals were not at expensive restaurants, both special and meant a whole lot more.
Lunch was curtesy of Prema, our receptionist/office manager in Jalan Gasing. Her mum had graciously cooked fried chicken, chicken rendang, with basmati rice and vege. As for dinner, BH and I decided to walk down memory lane. We went to Pudu, where he grew up and had our own version of a buffet. We sampled food from various roadside stalls.
I still believe that it doesn't matter where one eats on Valentine's day or how much one spends. What matters is who you spend it with and how. What matters is that this one day reminds you that it should be like this everyday, that we should show our love to those that matter, everyday. And those that matter includes ourselves too.

No comments: